Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Turkey's Current Political and Social Situation

Again, I want to reiterate that I am safe. I found a CNN article that explains the situation really well and why it has evolved to what it has become: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/03/world/europe/turkey-conflict-explainer/?hpt=hp_t1 . If you read it you will understand much more about what I am saying.

It has been over a week since the protests began in Gezi Park, and things are still going relatively strong. This weekend was the worst, and I think it was partially because people didn't have work or school so they were able to be outside all day and night. Friday night my roommate came home late from hours of being out protesting and after midnight everyone started protesting from their houses by whistling, banging on pots and pans, clapping, and flashing their lights, while people in their cars honked horns in the streets. Saturday morning 40,000 people marched across one of the bridges from the Asian side of Istanbul to the European side to go to Taksim and show their support against the current government. Saturday night was probably the worst time of all throughout this week because the Turkish government flew and bussed in police to Istanbul from other cities in Turkey to help "control" the protests. I stayed at home all day Saturday, and while I was somewhat bored, I was safe and off the streets. Saturday night I started getting a little nervous because the protesting got really bad in Beşiktaş and there was so much tear gas used that it had come up to my house and I was home alone. I closed all the windows and put tape over a vent that is in the kitchen, and after speaking with my parents I went to sleep. Sunday morning it had rained so things had calmed down a little. It also probably subsided somewhat because it was Sunday and people have work and school the next day. Also, I'm sure people were tired from the weekend. Sunday during the day I went to a friend's house and my plan was to return home that night, but I ended up staying there because the riots started up again and I did not want to go home alone. Beşiktaş was much worse than Taksim Square on Sunday night because all of the police were in Beşiktaş. Without the police, there is no violence; the protestors chant in groups, but there is no violence. There is only violence in places where there a police because the police have been using a lot of tear gas and compressed water. When the police use such methods to try and constrain the protestors, the protestors get angry and return the violence.

The frustrating thing about the whole situation is that Erdoğan, the Prime Minister, is not acknowledging what the protestors are protesting. While at first people were protesting the government getting rid of the historic park to turn it into military barracks with a shopping area, courtyard, and mosque, that just seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back now because it is no longer about the park; it is much bigger than that. The protests now are about the Turkish people's freedom and democracy. Erdoğan has made new laws that Turks are not happy about, such as banning alcohol in retail from 10pm-6am (this hasn't been put into place yet) and within 100m of mosques and schools. Whenever asked, in both interviews and speeches, Erdoğan keeps bringing everything back to the Park, reiterating that he announced this before he was elected, and people shouldn't protest it. The thing is, people are protesting because Turkey is a democracy and they feel as though they do not have the freedoms they used to and that the government is not listening to them. They feel as though Erdoğan is taking away their rights and freedoms.

Monday, I went to work and everything seemed to subside. I left work early to get home before the violence started again, and although it did get bad again at night and the city came alive, it did subside a lot. Today, I am back at work and everything is okay. I honestly have no idea what is going to happen now because both the government and the protestors say that they are not going to change anything and are not listening to each other. I don't know if things will subside, but I think there are 2 options. 1) Protesting and violence will somewhat subside during the week and then get really bad this weekend, to the point of there not being work next week, or 2) It will subside for now until something else happens and then people will resort to much more drastic measures. Either way something needs to change with either the government or the protestors in order for Turkey to return to normal and for the protests and violence to stop.

I think it is incredible how much Turkey has come together for this. I didn't really understand why people were honking or banging on pots and pans, but I completely understand it now. The people who do not go protest on the streets against the police want to show their support from their houses and so they use noisemakers and flicker their lights to do so. At first, the protests were just in Taksim, but because Istanbul is so big, the traffic is so bad, and because a lot of the public transportation was down, groups started protesting all over the city. This quickly spread to different cities all around the country, and now there are even groups protesting around the country. I am so glad Turkey has this much support around the world because this is such an important time in Turkish history. I am so proud of all of my friends that have gone out on the streets and protested, and I cannot imagine what it is like standing in all of the tear gas. I have been around areas where there is tear gas and I instantly started crying and my throat hurt, and I was not not even in the worst part. I am so amazed by everyone protesting and they truly inspire me. It is exciting being here at a time like this, however it is scary as well. If anyone is curious or worried about me, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am taking a lot of precautions and staying out of the protests by staying at home and supporting from afar. Please help support Turkey because the people need it. I will write another update  soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment